FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Oct. 2, 2020
LAKEWOOD, Colo. – Western Area Power Administration is officially closing its financial records for fiscal year 2020. These preliminary results reveal a highly efficient and successful year for the federal organization.
Especially noteworthy was executing 98% of its operational maintenance budget and 96% of its WAPA-controlled capital projects budget during unprecedented disruptions.
“I am proud of the work done by the WAPA team to ensure critical activities were completed during the COVID-19 pandemic. It takes teamwork and dedication to power the energy frontier through any challenge,” said WAPA Administrator and CEO Mark A. Gabriel.
Other year-end accomplishments include:
- Awarding $189 million in contracts.
- Achieving a total operations and maintenance expenses per kilowatt-hour rate of $0.012.
- Returning about $272.3 million to the U.S. Treasury to help pay back the federal investment in the dam and transmission infrastructure, plus interest. Over the past eight years, WAPA has returned nearly $2.6 billion to Treasury.
- Investing $142 million in capital projects to upgrade existing equipment and build new transmission equipment. In comparison, $110 million was spent in FY 2019 and $136 million in FY 2018 on capital projects.
During FY 2020, 94% of WAPA’s $1.2 billion budget was funded by power and transmission customers who directly benefited from WAPA’s services. The other 6% came from federal appropriations. Being good stewards of customer and taxpayer funds ensures reliable delivery of renewable and affordable hydropower that supports the energy needs of more than 40 million Americans.
About WAPA: Western Area Power Administration annually markets and transmits more than 25,000 gigawatt-hours of clean, renewable power from 57 federal hydroelectric powerplants owned and operated by the Bureau of Reclamation, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and International Boundary and Water Commission in 15 western and central states. It is part of the Department of Energy. Follow us on Twitter @WesternAreaPowr or visit the website at www.wapa.gov.