Connecting Talent to Power the West
Welcome to the Western Area Power Administration (WAPA). Thank you for considering us in your career journey. Dive into a realm of electrifying opportunities with us, where careers resonate with dynamism and impact, reflecting the vibrant West we proudly serve.
The Western Area Power Administration (WAPA) stands as a beacon of progress, distributing hydropower from 57 power plants to the vast reaches of the Western U.S. As part of the Department of Energy, we’ve committed ourselves to the stewardship of federal transmission infrastructure, ensuring that millions receive clean, reliable energy daily.
Our Footprint & Regions
Western Area Power Administration employees conduct power sales, transmission operations and maintenance, and engineering services at 51 duty stations throughout our service area. Our main offices include a Headquarters office in Lakewood, Colorado; regional offices in Billings, Montana; Loveland, Colorado; Phoenix, Arizona; and Folsom, California; and the Colorado River Storage Project Management Center in Montrose, Colorado.
Meet some of our WAPA team:
|Tracey Lebeau||Adam Haun|
|Grant Carlson||Stacy Lawson|
- Impactful Mission: Power the Western U.S., support local communities, and contribute to the nation’s clean energy goals.
- Career Development: Engage in learning opportunities, training programs, and growth paths tailored to your ambitions.
- Diversity & Inclusion: Our differences ignite our strengths. WAPA is committed to fostering an inclusive environment where everyone is welcome.
- Employee Benefits: Enjoy comprehensive benefits, from health and dental coverage to retirement plans and educational assistance.
- Health & Life Insurance
- Dental & Vision Insurance
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- 401(k) with up to 5% match
- Defined-Benefit Pension Plan
- Paid Annual & Sick Leave
- Paid Parental Leave under the Family and Medical Leave Act
- Paid Federal Holidays
- Military Service Credit
- Flexible Work Schedules
- Employee Assistance Program
- Training & Development Opportunities
Careers with WAPA
At WAPA, our focus is not only on providing power but also on empowering careers. If you’re searching for a career that combines innovation and sustainability and has an impact across the West, then you’re in the right place. Learn about the various careers available at WAPA.
If you’re looking for a career in a dynamic and mission-driven organization, WAPA is the perfect workplace. We are a community of professionals working together to power the West. Explore our open positions, submit your application, and embark on a rewarding career journey with us.
Join WAPA, where your career will be electrified with purpose, opportunity, and a commitment to a sustainable future. Welcome to the power behind the West!
We have a variety of job openings available on USAJOBS.gov.
How to Apply for a Federal Job:
- Create an account with login.gov
- Create a profile on USAJOBS.gov
- Browse and apply for open positions
Federal jobs often require that you have experience in a particular type of work for a certain period of time. You must show how your skills and experiences meet the qualifications and requirements listed in the job announcement to be considered for the job. Make sure your resume includes:
- Dates, hours, level of experience and examples for each work experience
- Volunteer work and roles in community organizations
- Numbers to highlight your accomplishments
Your experience needs to address every required qualification in the job announcement. Hiring agencies will look for specific terms in your resume to make sure you have the experience they’re seeking.