WAPA is committed to continuing market-related conversations with customers. Exploring market options ensures WAPA continues to reliably deliver hydropower to its diverse customer base and seek solutions that help us adapt to the changes in the energy landscape.
Ongoing market activities
- Southwest Power Pool RTO membership effort for Rocky Mountain, Colorado River Storage Project and Upper Great Plains
- CRSP, RM and UGP Energy Imbalance Activities – Transition into WEIS completed Feb. 1, 2021
- Sierra Nevada Energy Imbalance Activities – Transition into WEIM completed March 25, 2021
- Desert Southwest Energy Imbalance Activities – Transition into WEIM completed April 5, 2023
WAPA and Markets monthly newsletter
Keep up to date on the latest activities surrounding markets at WAPA with this newsletter.
|March 2023||February 2022||January 2021||January 2020|
|April 2023||April 2022||February 2021||February 2020|
|June 2023||June 2022||April 2021||March 2020|
|October 2023||August 2022||June 2021||April 2020|
|||October 2022||September 2021||May/June 2020|
|||December 2022||December 2021||July 2020|
Background: Market Conversations – WAPA and customers
WAPA and customers have been discussing markets for decades. WAPA has also held several all-customer market-related events. Catch up on some of the more recent conversations, here:
- 2019: Markets in the West Workshop April 9-10 in Phoenix, Arizona
- 2016: Multiple market choices open door for robust discussion, July news feature
- 2016: Customer Symposium: Discussion on Markets June 30 in Phoenix, Arizona
- 2014: Understanding Markets meeting January 24 in Phoenix, Arizona
WAPA and other utilities also participated in the Mountain West Transmission Group to evaluate a range of options ranging from a common transmission tariff to regional transmission organization membership. The initiative ended in 2018.
A compilation of studies completed by other entities on market development and related topics in the West. These links lead to external webpages outside the WAPA website.
DOE-Funded State-Led Options Study
NREL Interconnections Seam Study
NREL North American Renewable Integration Study
- Overview webpage
- North American Renewable Integration Study: A U.S. Perspective — Executive Summary, (June 2021)
- The North American Renewable Integration Study: A U.S. Perspective (June 2021)
Chrystal Dean, VP of Enterprise Portfolio Management
Vice Presidents of Power Marketing:
Last modified on December 4th, 2023